At Ccibo Maremma, we are a passionate community dedicated to safeguarding and promoting the rich agri-food biodiversity of our region. Our primary mission is to combat genetic erosion and champion the products derived from this diversity for the betterment of our community.
Through our network of Guardian Farmers, Transformers, Research Centers, and Schools, we aim to make known the extensive biodiversity of the Maremma area while preserving its rich culture and territory.
What We Stand For:
- Preservation of Local Genetic Resources: We are committed to conserving the genetic diversity of local food and agricultural treasures. Our goal is to transmit knowledge about these resources, encouraging collaboration between researchers and ethical entrepreneurs. Together, we aim to foster a deeper understanding of environmental issues, underpinned by our research initiatives.
- Gastronomic Excellence: We celebrate and elevate lesser-known genetic resources by showcasing their unique organoleptic, nutraceutical, and cultural qualities. We extend this appreciation to culinary and marketing realms, highlighting their value.
- Sustainable Agricultural Practices: We actively promote and disseminate practices inherent to organic farming and other low-impact cultivation systems. This includes strategies for water conservation, reducing carbon emissions, and enhancing soil fertility. Our commitment extends to sustainable methods, safeguarding both soil health and water purity. We explore agroecological practices that bolster crop resilience in the face of climate change and enhance agro-ecosystem biodiversity.
- Cultural Custodianship: We take on the role of custodians, preserving our territory’s traditional agricultural knowledge and cultural traditions linked to food and agricultural diversity.
- Seed Selection and Propagation: We place special emphasis on participatory seed selection and propagation, tailoring seeds to our unique terrain and climate challenges while ensuring proper nutrition.
- Education and Community Engagement: We are dedicated to educating and training individuals in environmental and agricultural practices. Additionally, we work towards social cohesion, revitalizing abandoned or degraded areas and marginal agricultural lands.
- Circular Economy and Cooperation: We strive to create economic, production, and distribution systems based on principles of cooperation, solidarity, and the circular economy. We aim to shift from the consumer mindset to that of an active user.
- Participatory Guarantee System: We value the knowledge we’ve acquired and actively share it with our entire community through a participatory guarantee system.
- Food Sovereignty: Our aim is to restore food sovereignty, allowing individuals and communities the right to determine their own food and production systems. We emphasize access to healthy, culturally appropriate foods with a focus on social and environmental sustainability.
- Social Cohesion and Inclusion: We promote social cohesion, inclusivity, intergenerational and multicultural exchange, and solidarity. We believe in respecting differences and civil rights, fostering social innovation that addresses local needs and strengthens the community.
- Collaborative Synergy: We actively seek collaboration with other organizations to support both established and emerging supply chains.
- Fair Compensation: We insist on just remuneration for producers and reject goods sourced from the exploitation of people. Our commitment is to ensure a fair price for all involved.
To fulfill our mission, we organize a variety of events and activities designed to protect agri-food biodiversity, combat genetic and cultural erosion, and promote the products that emerge from our efforts. These activities include:
- Promoting Social Cohesion: We create opportunities for inclusivity, intergenerational exchange, multiculturalism, and solidarity, fostering stronger bonds within our community.
- Participatory Guarantee System: We share our wealth of knowledge acquired through this system with our entire community.
- Food Sovereignty: We actively work to restore the right of individuals and communities to determine their food and production systems, with an emphasis on sustainability.
- Circular Economy and Cooperation: We advocate for economic, production, and distribution systems rooted in cooperation, solidarity, and the circular economy.
- Cultural Custodianship: We safeguard our territory’s traditional knowledge and cultural traditions linked to agricultural crops and food diversity.
Join us in our mission to preserve and celebrate the agri-food biodiversity of Maremma, Tuscany, Italy, and contribute to a more sustainable and vibrant community.